Still Life with Woody, Performance

 

Crochet performance, using a wooden phallus as a crochet hook. this performance is part of a body of work: Touchwood, which is part of another body: Ouma se Kind Ouma se Kind A couple of years ago I encountered the term ‘ouma se kind’ [grandmother's child]. I was informed that the term is used as a reference to gay people, usually gay men, and seems to come from the north east part of South Africa. The term had been introduced to me by a man who was sharing his coming out [as gay] story with me. I was born at a time when homosexuality was criminal in South Africa. It was an absurd time. Not only did I find myself to be a criminal by virtue of being [homo]sexual, I also understood, in a dark and pre-/nonverbal way, that being gay was also culturally taboo. That is to say; within my family, schools and communities that I grew up in it was not ok to be gay. I contracted into myself and lived a fair number of years in denial. To throw into the mix; my grandmother, who I adored, taught me how to crochet. It was also taboo for boys/men to crochet and knit. This body of work is a celebratory ‘coming -out’. I have mixed the ingredients; coming out, denial, taboo, the unheimlich, crochet, granny and a love of cock, together. It began as a crochet performance during which I crochet a granny-square using another man’s hard-on as a crochet hook. I have made videos and taken stills from them to explore and play with, in the studio making 2D assemblages with the images. The yarn I used for the granny square is what I call ‘size-tape’. This tape is found in haberdashery stores; small sections are sewn into garments indicating its size. This aspect includes another subtheme, cock-size. The issues men have about the size of their dicks, and the cliche ‘size-queen’. Yarn is a recurring feature in my work; yarns hold clues to the content and also honour the stories we carry and share. I celebrate my sexuality through this body of work and engage with the very curious human activity of denial. I can now say, at this age, I am comfortable with my sexuality; I accept it, I no longer carry guilt and shame about it. I am grateful to all my sexual partners, and all the men I have had sexual encounters with. Particularly for the delightfully intimate conversations through which stories have been shared, wounds have been licked and healing taken place. Cape Town June 2018

Comments

Popular Posts