Video performance: Queensize


This body of work is a celebratory ‘coming -out’. I have mixed the ingredients; coming out, denial, taboo, the unheimlich, crochet, granny and a love of cock, together. It began as a crochet performance during which I crochet a granny-square using another man’s hard-on as a crochet hook. I have made videos and taken stills from them to explore and play with, in the studio making 2D assemblages with the images. The yarn I used for the granny square is what I call ‘size-tape’. This tape is found in haberdashery stores;  small sections are sewn into garments indicating its size. This aspect includes another subtheme, cock-size. The issues men have about the size of their dicks, and the cliche ‘size-queen’. Yarn is a recurring feature in my work; yarns hold clues to the content and also honour the stories we carry and share.

Comments

Popular Posts